knowledge dynamics

This forum is for discussion of topics related to System Dynamics. You must be logged in to post but anyone who has registered on the System Dynamics web submission system may post. Note that there may be a delay of a working day or two after registering before you can post anything.

knowledge dynamics

Postby Ilir Rodiqi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:25 pm

I am interested in modelling knowledge flows, knowledge dynamics especially in project environments! Is there any study or a model that describes knowledge in projects?
Ilir Rodiqi

Re: knowledge dynamics

Postby Kim Warren » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 am

Not sure about the project-mgt issues specifically, Ilir, but you might
find useful some of the approach I use with business cases, which builds
on academic notions about knowledge and capability. Essentially, it
specifies the aim as completing some activity with 3 criteria - fast,
with minimum cost, and with high quality. This is achieved if the
organisation or team has strong capability, comprising 3 things -
skilled individuals, effective procedures, and full data. Organisational
knowledge, then, seems to consist of the data the organisation or team
possesses + the effective processes it has developed to deploy that
data. Both of these are accumulating/depleting asset-stocks, so I think
SD can capture capability and knowledge in a reasonably rigorous,
quantifiable form that makes sense operationally.
If this sounds promising, take a look at chapter 10 of my book at
http://www.kimwarren.com/files/c10.pdf
Kim
Kim Warren

Postby Christian Weitert » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 am

Kim,

you might remember that we have talked about this in an earlier discussion. Your post reminded me of it. I took a look at the link you posted, and a question from back then arose. In your stock&flow diagrams capabilities are included as stocks. Yet they asymptotically converge towards one, which is the maximum capability. Having a stock offering the remaining potential for capability improvement as in the extended capability process in figure 10.19 is a solution to ensure the actual capability does not excess 1, but leads to a problem as soon as capability obsolescence or depletion is included. I am really interested in the explicit formulation of the flow to produce the behaviour the graphs inside the stocks in figure 10.10 and 10.19 indicate. Thanks in advance for your help.
This is not really relevant to the first post in this thread, my apologies for that.

Christian
Christian Weitert

Postby Kim Warren » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 am

Unless I misunderstand the question Christian, the answer is dead easy ...
Increase in Capability = (1 - Current Capability) * Fractional Increase per period ... there is also an out-flow, driven e.g. by loss of key people or simple forgetting = Current Capability * Fractional loss per period
In English the in-flow says ... "any learning you get from practising what you do can only close the gap between what you currently know and 'perfect' capability". The book chapter goes on to explain what 'perfect' capability means in various contexts, e.g. perfect sales capability = every call is successful ... perfect hiring capability = you get the best possible recruits, immediately. It also explains that 'capability' typically has three dimensions quality of what you do, speed with which it is done, and cost.
It's really a simple structure - some may say simplistic - but seems to portray reality quite well in most cases I've used it.
Hope that helps. Kim
Kim Warren

Postby Mark Choudhari » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Ilir, Provide a little more information about specifically what aspects of knowledge you'd like to see in a project management context and I'll point you in the direction of a few models.
Regards,
Mark D. Choudhari
mc@alum.mit.edu
Mark Choudhari

Postby Christian Weitert » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer Kim. The solution you posted is what I have implemented in my model so far, I was just interested what formulation you use. Knowing now that you use the same makes me much more comfortable about it, since its a very simple formulation. Thanks a lot for your insights.
Christian Weitert

Postby Yutaka Takahashi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 am

Hi Ilir,
I wrote a qualitative paper about knowledge management with SD thought.
The Importance of Balancing Knowledge Protection and Knowledge Interchange In "Ethical Issues and Social Dilemmas in Knowledge Management: Organizational Innovation" IGI. Ed. by G. Costa. pp. 180-198, 2010
http://www.igi-global.com/book/ethical-issues-social-dilemmas-knowledge/37348
I hope it can be good for you.
Yours,
Yutaka.

Yutaka TAKAHASHI.
Yutaka Takahashi

Return to Open Discussion