there currently is an interesting opportunity opening on a EU-funded project named CROSSOVER (the call is at the following URL http://www.crossover-project.eu/Portals/0/Docs/CALL%20FOR%20ANIMATORS_v2.pdf
, more upcoming info also on the Society's Career Link).
As we all know, ICT is changing policy making. Technologies for open data, collaboration, visualization, modelling and simulation promise to enable a more participative, evidence-based and timely governance, while taming greater complexity and attracting citizens’ involvement.
Yet research, development and implementation struggle to grasp the existing opportunities, also because of the lack of exchange between people developing and using such innovations, across countries, policy domains and scientific disciplines.
In this context, the CROSSOVER project (http://www.crossover-project.eu
), co-funded by the European Commission, will stimulate global collaboration between practitioners, researchers and public officials in the field, so to establish a common Research Roadmap on ICT tools for Governance and Policy Modelling. Throughout 2012, CROSSOVER will build on existing communities to create a shared vision to support policy and research in this area.
The peer-to-peer exchange will be facilitated by a network of high-profile animators. To identify these animators, we call for researchers and practitioners to submit a short piece of work.Expected Contributions
The contribution, submitted as brief article, will be structured into two main parts:
- In the first part the contributors will provide an outline of one case of innovative application of ICT tools for Governance and Policy Modeling
- In the second part the contributors will describe their recommended networking channels, e.g.conferences, workshops, websites, social media, and othersNote: the second part would simply have to present a shortlist of the most relevant conferences, online communities, journals, and other channels considered as relevant to leverage discussion and insight on policy-making 2.0 in one or more of the research fields listed below. It is expected that the first section could be therefore longer than the second section.Research fields
The focus of the contributions should be on a selected range of key technologies:
1. Policy Modelling (e.g. System Dynamics, Agent Based Modelling, Network Analysis...)
2. Open and Big Data for policy-making
3. Collaborative governance and web 2.0
5. Visual Analytics, visualization and policy simulationAward Scheme
Authors of up to 5 best contributions of this call will be invited to join the CROSSOVER Animators Committee. The selection will be carried out by senior researchers of the partner organizations. Beside the prestige and the opportunity to shape the European research agenda, each member of the Animators Committee will receive a lump sum of 2500 EUR for participation in the networking activities of the project.Activities
Concretely, the animation will take the form of 1 online contribution per month along the whole of 2012, in order to seed discussions in the relevant scientific communities. Contributions can include research questions, case studies, problems and solutions, and can take the form of news, blog posts, interventions in forums and mailing list.Submission Guidelines
All submissions must be up to 3,000 words in PDF format. Please submit your contribution via e-mail to CROSSOVER@atc.gr
together with a short biographical sketch.Important Dates
- Deadline for submission of articles: 8th February 2012
- Announcement of results and best papers: 15th February 2012