The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC)
||Two Assistant Research Scientists
||The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) seeks two Assistant Research Scientists, one with expertise in agent based modeling, and the other with expertise in system dynamical modeling. These are two-year, research faculty positions through the University of Maryland. Effort in each will be equally divided between conducting independent synthesis research and contributing to SESYNC’s programs and activities.
The incumbents will have freedom and responsibility to design and conduct their own independent research program, applying ABM or system dynamics approaches to understand aspects of sustainability and address pressing problems in socio-environmental systems. It is expected that publications in scholarly outlets will result from this research, and the incumbents may apply for grants and generate additional types of scientific products (e.g., databases, models, white papers). Half of the incumbents’ time will be dedicated to supporting and furthering SESYNC’s institutional goals. This includes activities of both an administrative nature, such as planning, organizing, leading, and managing SESYNC programs and activities, as well as more research-oriented support, such as applying and sharing scientific expertise to assist SESYNC’s scholars and teams when relevant.
- Ph.D. in computational, natural, or social science and peer-reviewed publications in outlets relevant to scholars using ABM or system dynamics approaches, respectively;
- More than two years work experience in academic, NGO, or governmental research setting;
- Experience working both independently and as part of a team of researchers;
- General knowledge of socio–environmental or sustainability literature & research methods;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to initiate and manage multiple and diverse projects and activities;
- A professional demeanor and exceptional written and oral communication skills as well as a desire to actively engage with and serve a variety of individuals in various settings.
|How to Apply
||Submit cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references as a single PDF online here. Applicants should specify to which research position (agent-based modeling or system dynamical modeling) they are applying in their cover letter. Cover letter should include a paragraph outlining the direction and goals of the candidate’s research program for the period of the appointment.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, or political affiliation.
Minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
||Oct 02, 2017
|URL to host organization
||National Socio-Environmetal Synthesis Center
Last edited by BB -
[ Back to the homepage ]