|Background of Organization
Industrialised economies face three major energy challenges: climate change, energy affordability and security of supply. Over 40% of the UK’s energy demand, and carbon emissions, is associated with buildings, yet there is much we can do to improve our built stock and how we interact with it. Energy demand and buildings is a complex socio-technical problem and must be understood better if we are deliver UK targets. However, the sector faces a skills shortage: we need more highly qualified graduates to work in government, industry, NGOs and academia.
The London – Loughborough EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Energy Demand (LoLo CDT) is the premier centre for energy demand research in the built environment in the UK, bringing together two leading energy research universities, UCL and Loughborough University. LoLo is funded to train a large student cohort to address our skills shortage. Our graduates are expected to take senior roles throughout the economy. We provide world-class PhD training, including opportunities to work with leading researchers, placements with industry and a comprehensive skills and development programme. Applicants are welcomed with good degrees from diverse backgrounds, reflecting our multidisciplinary research; previous experience of energy and buildings is not required.
The Bartlett School of Environment, Energy and Resources
University College London | Central House | 14 Upper Woburn Place | London | WC1H 0NN
Alison Parker (Centre Manager)
RCUK Centre for Energy Epidemiology & London-Loughborough EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Energy Demand
|Contact phone, fax and/or email
+44 (0) 203 108 5999 (internal 55999)
||15 Fully Funded Studentships
- Are you interested in energy demand research; a complex interplay of people, buildings and economics? You could make an important contribution to lowering carbon emissions from our built stock, currently responsible for over 40% of UK energy use and emissions, and to addressing the challenge of fuel affordability.
- Are you looking for a high quality multidisciplinary doctoral training programme (MRes + PhD) in energy which gives you the opportunity to learn from experienced researchers and to undertake original research at a world leading institution?
- Are you a graduate with a good first degree in one of the following areas: physical sciences (physics, natural sciences, chemistry, materials science), statistics, mathematics, engineering (civil, mechanical, chemical, electronic, electrical), economics, social sciences or other built environment disciplines? A background in buildings and energy is not required as it is the topic of the initial 1 year MRes.
- We are offering up to 15 fully funded studentships for entry into the 2017/18 academic year.
- As one of our students you will join a vibrant and diverse community of academics, students and a growing community of LoLo CDT alumni.
- Join either Loughborough or UCL where you will be supervised by world-leading academics supported by large research teams.
- You will have the opportunity to engage closely with partners in industry, policy, NGOs and academia to pursue relevant and timely research, providing multiple routes into future employment in the rapidly expanding field of energy demand research. Opportunities include joint projects, secondments and mentoring.
- You will gain business and innovation skills; project and programme management skills; teamwork, communication and leadership skills; and the ability to seek solutions to complex, multifaceted problems.
|How to Apply
You are required to submit a CV and a combined covering letter/personal statement using our online application form (available only during recruitment periods).Your covering letter/personal statement should indicate your interest in our research areas and the relevance of your own skills and experience.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview with senior members of the Centre management team. A part of the interview will be devoted to a discussion of preparatory material provided in advance.
If there is a good match between your background and qualifications and the objectives of the Centre, you will be invited to make a formal application to UCL or Loughborough University, with the full support of the CDT and its staff (CDTs are technically not able to make offers on behalf of the University).
It is advisable to prepare the CV, personal statement/covering letter before starting to complete the online form.
Applications for 2017/18 are now open!! The first round of recruitment closes on Monday 30 January 2017 (5PM GMT)
Please note: The form may not submit if you have copied and pasted text into any of the fields (as this can sometimes include coding). Please type all content but if you have problems please contact us.
||You will receive a stipend which is tax free plus UK/EU fees for four years (conditions apply). Stipend for UCL will be approx. £18,200 & for Loughborough University £16,400 (this rises in line with inflation each year).
|URL to host organization
||Find out more at www.lolo.ac.uk & watch our short video
Recruitment for 2017/18 is now open. The first round of recruitment closes on Monday 30 January 2017 (5PM GMT)
Please note: There may be additional recruitment rounds if studentships are not filled. Recruitment is handled separately by UCL and Loughborough. We do not accept applications outside of the main recruitment phases or by CV only.
Last edited by BB -
[ Back to the homepage ]